Transition to MPEG-4
In April 2017 Shaw Broadcast will begin transitioning all MPEG-2 satellite signals to MPEG-4. Conversions will occur in three phases over three years from approximately April to October of 2017, 2018 and 2019. Our objective is to be 100% MPEG-4 by the Fall of 2019.
We are transitioning to MPEG-4 because the legacy MPEG-2 encoding equipment is reaching End of Support status. This means that within the next few years the MPEG-2 encoding equipment used by Shaw Broadcast will no longer be able to be supported or repaired. Upgrading to current generation MPEG-4 equipment allows our customers to continue to broadcast television signals for distribution.
To continue to receive signals from ANIK F1R and F2, BDUs will require equipment capable of receiving MPEG-4 satellite signals in their head ends. If this equipment transcodes the signal back to MPEG-2 before distributing it over the local cable network, no customer premise upgrades would be required. If this equipment sends out a MPEG-4 signal, then all Cable customer premise equipment must be capable of handling an MPEG-4 signal.
Note: This Plan is subject to change, please check our website for updates.
Transition Plan (Revised documents - 17-Jan-17)MPEG-4 FAQs
Phase 1 — April 2017 to October 2017
- F1R Ku Band Technical Information Phase 1
- F2 Ku Band Technical Information Phase 1
- F1R F2 Traffic Plan Phase 1
- Sequence of Events for first phase of MPEG 2 HD to MPEG 4 HD
- Phase 1 Timeline
Phase 2 — April 2018 to October 2018
- F1R Ku Band Technical Information Phase 2 (New – 4-Apr-18)
- F2 Ku Band Technical Information Phase 2 (New – 4-Apr-18)
- F1R F2 Traffic Plan Phase 2 (New – 4-Apr-18)
- Sequence of Events for second phase of MPEG 2 HD to MPEG 4 HD (New – 4-Apr-18)
- Technical/Data chart for Phase 2 Version 12 (New – 4-Apr-18)
Phase 3 — April 2019 to October 2019
- Final Outcome F1R F2 Traffic Plan Phase 3 - TBD
Migration Signals List
- Migration Signals List - TBD
Transition Plan Decoders / Hardware Information
- MPEG-2 Headends
- MPEG-4 Headends
- Commercial IRD Options for Shaw Conversion
- DSR-4410MD ARRIS Datasheet
- DSR-4440 Datasheet ARRIS
- DSR-4460 Datasheet ARRIS
- DSR-7400 Datasheet